Welcome to another month of The Corrosive Challenge inspiration with this month'so theme: "NATURE/ANIMALS"
This month I am using Pretty Mermaid with fish from our a sponsor SLSlines.
I tried to expand myself out of my regular CAS style with this card. I wont lie. It didnt all go to plan! I used a new technique that I've been trying on the backgroundsidelines of a few recent cards by dropping Copic O onto coloured backgrounds. I'm so glad I done it first! Unlike my other attempts, this time it bleed! Really bleed! It went onto the Mermaid and the fish and my border! I got what I could out of it and the Mermaid came out pretty well but it was hopeless on the rope and fish. So instead of my planned orange fish, I went green and it has the blemish well covered. My border I decided I would have to fix in a more creative way! I went with creating more texture for a rope feeling by using Gesso.
I used Wink of Stella on my Mermaid's tail and the fish to get a beautiful shimmer without being over the top. I the hand cut my image out and attached it to the background paper when another idea hit! Why not make it look like I was looking through a submarine window by filling inside the entire rope area with glossy accents. Bad idea! It started well until I kept getting a blockage in the nozzle. This meant many stops to try and unblock left me with lots of bubbles to try and get out while also trying to not let the edges dry while filling the space. As you can see in the below images, it didn't go extremely well. It wasn't horrible, but I am a perfectionist! I wasn't overly concerned with the bubbles, simply because it's an underwater scene. BUT during the drying time, the papers buckled leaving a slightly thicker area....and it cracked! I have never had Glossy Accents crack before! Never! I can only assume it's because of the size of the area covered that it done so.
I had to put aside my perfectionism and think of it as a unique imperfection to create extra interest. Ok...I don't know who I'm trying to convince more, you or myself! But I count bring myself to throw it away and continued working. I decided on an easel card. I used the matching Kaisercraft border raised up with foam tape to hold the stand up and I used a matching tag with a length of beads to resemble a string of pearls.
Thank you for taking the time to visit and read a longer than planned post!
Please take the time to visit this month's sponsors below.